Six Years

Saturday

Six years ago today, Texas won the Big 12.  Texas did not just win the game.  They completely and totally owned Colorado with a final score of 70-3. 

Six years ago today, my dad - a huge Texas Longhorns fan - was on his way home from work.  Another car passed a school bus, returning home from a high school football playoff game, on a hill.  That other car hit my dad.  Six years ago today, he went home to Heaven. 


I found this picture several months ago and I just love it.  Because it IS my dad -- playing football in the yard of my Granny and Granddad's house with my cousins.  My dad loved football.  This pic is just so him!

A little over a month later, Texas won the national championship game.  I watched the game and cried at the end.  Not only because Texas beat USC (the team I hate more than any other team in the nation).  I cried because it just felt so fitting.  I cried because I could just see my dad, in Heaven, wearing his burnt orange.  Maybe he was even sitting somewhere in the vicinity of Darrel K. Royal.  I'm sure he quickly added Vince Young to his "People I Must Meet Up Here Some Day" list.  (I'm pretty sure Robert E. Lee was the number one person on his list and the second person - after his PawPaw - that he shook hands with.  My dad was one of those tried-and-true southerners who would tell you that the "War for States Rights" had nothing to do with slavery and everything to do with those yankee bastards trying to tell 'us' what to do).


It's a weird twist of fate that today, six years after my dad went Home, Texas is once again playing football.  They aren't playing in the Big 12 championship.  They're playing Baylor.

I went to Baylor.


My dad and I had a friendly rivarly concerning the Texas/ Baylor game.  Prior to last year, Baylor hadn't won the game since 1997, when I was a senior in high school.  Sorry, Dad, but Baylor is going to win it again this year.  I hate to tell ya.  "God made the sunset burnt orange, but he made Heaven GREEN and GOLD."


If Heaven wasn't so far away
I'd pack up the kids and go for the day
Introduce them to their grandpa
.......
If Heaven wasn't so far away
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Popular Posts